On science and technology
- I believe there is often a simpler, a more low-tech solution to a problem technology is thrown on.
- I sometimes call myself a geek but I don't understand this 'geek' movement of cheering science and technology - without any desire to learn any of the details.
- I prefer to work on seemingly mundane problems that somebody really wants me to solve right now.
- This explains why I discarded inquiries to participate in and profit from governmentally funded research projects.
- Yet, I often find a universe of intriguing puzzles when mulling upon a 'simple' problem.
- Learning about theoretical physics has a mind purging effect: It helps, no matter if I ever need the math directly.
On business and life
- If a business relationship does not work without a written contract, it does also not work well with one.
- Don't follow any advice by strategists and experts, especially if their primary role is to act as consultants and not as doers.
- If somebody has an opinion on something, I judge them on Skin in the Game, hands-on experience, and education - in that order. I keep this in mind when voicing my own opinions.
- I don't pay for leads - I endorse other for free, and I am endorsed for free. Not necessarily on a 1:1 basis.
On the internet
- The greatest internet-powered innovation in the workplace I have encountered is to work remotely.
- I am grateful that I started writing online before there were Likes and Comments. The point of writing online is to hold yourself accountable because others could read this on principle, not because you need feedback.
- The internet sharing paradox: The more information you share for free, the more requests for free information you get. Learning to say No is a key skill.
- No matter how eclectic you think your combination of specialties is - you will find people on the internet featuring the same combination. Just better. It's humbling and this is a good thing.
This has once been the so-called serious section of this site, holding the links to the articles full of soul-searching.
Meaning of life, true calling - you name it. See the non-translation of my graduation speech as a prime example.
Fortunately, the Lightness of Being a Geek has finally won.
But now - here it is.
An Englisch-German cross-over based on a search term poem published on my English blog.
This poem in turn was a cross-over of Q1 search terms and pathetic attempts of mine to take photos with my smart phone. Photos of a trip would have deserved something better.
English lines: © My blog's visitors.
German lines: © Elkement.
This is not a translation.
It is an experiment.
the theory and practice of combining just about anything
quality assurance poem
funny ways to combine 2 cliches
Warum praktisch alles verbinden - wenn es theoretisch nicht geht?
Gedichte haben Qualität - aber bieten keine Sicherheit
Lustiger kann man Klischeés nicht verbinden
hoops smoke effect
response to existentialism
Bunte Reifen hüpfen in glitzerndem Rauch
Die einzige Antwort auf düsteren Existenzialismus
shallow and deep reading
Soll ich dieses Gedicht oberflächlich lesen oder in der Tiefe
die vielleicht nicht vorhanden ist?
non linear art
describes the tendency of the force
oder doch nur, was die Kraft uns vorschreibt.
what is the measure
Polarisierend und antifragil
Wie finden wir das rechte Maß?
Nur ein leeres Blatt
oder doch ein vertrauenswürdiges Zertifikat?
google on my heat
Wärme sollte man googeln
und Engineering ist Zen
build einstein refrigerator
steampunk heat sink
Bauen wir den berühmten Einstein-Kühlschrank
aber nicht ohne Kühlblech im Steampunk-Stil
call center puzzle
Callcener geben uns Rätsel auf
nicht nur wegen der automatischen Uhren
Eine Chinesische Mauer
und was man sonst noch auf dem Schrottplatz findet
aber bitte nur Linien die sich schneiden
entropy and no momentum/energy
Der Kreisel ruht
nicht so Entropie und Impuls
i need to remember this
Ich hoffe, ich werde mich erinnern
elastic glancing collisions
Streifender Einfall - wie elegant
die Wirking ist minimal
center of mass
Im Zentrum der Schwere
sollst Du das Schnippselchen wegschleudern
fringe science theories
Am Abgrund unserer besten Theorien
warten intuitive Symbole
which is more important
to just roll over bump
Was ist nun wichtiger
einfach nur schnell drüber und durch und weg?
The Subversive Element is delighted to report on our progress in Elementary Subversion:
All web sites that are controlled by The Element have been resurrected and updated in an extremely professional fashion. We do go to great lengths in explaining the details via appropriate communication channels. Websites that defy resurrection - for comprehensible reasons though - have not been updated. They have been clicked, hailed and worshipped instead.
The Elkement as an artist is undergoing a transformation: The traceable output of its activities has been increased due to recycling (Crowdsourcing)
The history of The Element including all highs and lows is in depth covered by:
- the resurrection of classical writing tagged with Everything.
- via its so-called timeline (formatted according to the requirements of the NSA) at an extremely subversive website.
We are proud to announce new high-scores with respect to the index of self-referentiality (AKA navel-gazing)
- The Element has been successful in publishing a guest post in the local community newspaper of z-village despite its critical and picky editor.
- The pseudo-twitter stream of e-stangl.at has been flooded with subversive vontent.
We set new standards in combining: Subversive Entrepreneurship, down-to-earth provincial craftsmanship, MacGyver-like tinkering, and modern communication via social media: punktwissen.wordpress.com
(Updated: December 2, 2012)
Based on my scientific, extremely thorough logfile analysis this is the main exit page of subversiv.at
So I hope you enjoyed flying with us! The element has finally managed to really put you off!
We had high hopes, now shattered to pieces. This should be *the page* on Life, the Universe and Everything.
But no matter how you do not care - we will keep adding more self-referential navel-gazings to this category. And we will keep commenting on the comments on the comments on these navel-gazings, that once might have been the most serious pieces I had ever written.
You should take into account that irony is like an adamantine shell.
The following image has been taken after watching The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy (the movie, not the legendary British TV show).
need a lot of energy
to ultimate subversion