I've built the underlying 'flat-file database' (Details in this post), and my not yet public site has these features now:
- Menu bar from pages.
- Show all postings on home page
- Recent posts and archive in left bar.
- Tag cloud in right bar, tags created by grouping all posts' meta data.
- 'Tag page': Show all posts tagged with a specific tag.
- Indicate category of current posting by highlighting category in the menu.
- Highlight currently clicked article in archive.
- Menu page contains custom text plus automatically created list of all postings in this category.
- Automatic creation of RSS feed.
- CSS stylesheet and responsive design.
- 'Nice' URLs - ASP.NET Routing.
Currently I am painstakingly migrating snippets of content to new counterparts / articles / text files.
For testing I am using a layout similar to my Wordpress.com's blog design now: